Refreshing strawberries and cream cookie bars are perfect for your summer occasions.
When I think of summer, I think of fresh ripe fruit. Nothing screams summer like fresh ripe strawberries. No lie, my kids and I could eat pint after pint of strawberries. I was at the market the other day and saw these beautiful ripe strawberries and I just knew I had to make something special with them. I figured strawberries and cream go together, so why not make a strawberries and cream cookie bar?
Strawberries and Cream – Just Meant to Be
What goes best with strawberries? Whipped cream of course! They are so easy to make because you don’t have to drop or form any of the cookies.I decided to make a soft and chewy sugar cookie for the base. Then I topped the cookie bar with a strawberries and cream topping. First, I made some fresh whipped cream and added cream-cheese to the frosting. The strawberries and cream go well together and really give it that airy, light texture. Since the frosting has fresh whipped cream, just be sure to store it in the fridge. If you prefer a buttercream, you could also use my vanilla buttercream frosting.
Apricot Fruit Glaze
To add some shine to the strawberries, I added an apricot glaze. I always thought fruit glazes were complicated, but they don’t have to be. I love that this apricot fruit glaze only has two ingredients: apricot jelly and water. It is so simple, just mix a bit of apricot jelly with a little water. Heat up the jelly mixture in the microwave for 30 seconds and then you have a quick and easy fruit glaze that makes the berries really shine.
These strawberries and cream sugar cookie bars are so simple to make and would be perfect for a summer pool party or beach trip. You can whip this strawberries and cream dessert and slice it up into individual portions.
Strawberries and Cream Cookie Bars
For the cookie bar:
- 2 1/4 cups of flour 330 g
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 sticks of room temperature butter 170 g
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar 180 g
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar 60 g
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla
For the topping:
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 8 oz of cream cheese
- 1/2 cup of powered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/2 pint of strawberries sliced
- 2 tablespoons of apricot jelly
- 2 tablespoons of water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare your 9x13 inch pan
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the flour, salt and baking soda and baking powder. Whisk together and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugars together
- Add the egg and vanilla
- Slowly add the flour mixture
- Beat together until it makes a dough
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Make sure to not overcook
- Cool completely
For the Frosting
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the heavy cream. Beat for 2-3 minutes until a soft peak forms.
- Add the granulated sugar and set whipped cream aside
- In the stand mixer, add the cream cheese and beat until soft
- Add the vanilla and powered sugar
- Slowly fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture
For the glaze:
- Add the apricot jelly and water to a small bowl
- Heat for 30 seconds in the microwave and stir
- Add frosting to the cooled cookie bars. Top with the sliced strawberries and brush a little of the apricot glaze on the top of the strawberries. Keep refrigerated
Here are a few of the supplies I used to make this recipe:
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links, which means the seller will know that I referred you to their product, and I’ll get a small percentage of the sale. However, I don’t take your trust for granted, so I only recommend products I’ve used personally and stand behind 100%.