Buttery and chewy sugar cookie bars topped with light and fluffy buttercream frosting.
These are the best sugar cookie bars! These soft and chewy sugar cookie bars are topped with a light and fluffy buttercream. This is such an easy recipe and I dare you to not eat the whole pan (oops I failed my own challenge).
When I’m happy, I often break out into a dance. Everyone does that, right? After taking one bite of these sugar cookie bars, I couldn’t help but do a happy dance. My toddler looked at me like I’m crazy but then he tried them….and then he danced. Seriously, my family could not get enough of these sugar cookie bars.
SUGAR COOKIE BAR FLAVORS
I love this recipe because it doesn’t require dropping or forming the cookies. Once you’ve made the dough, you simply press it into the pan and bake. I also love how you can use the sugar cookie bars and switch out the toppings and the flavors like these strawberries and cream sugar cookie bars. The frosting is similar to my vanilla crusting buttercream frosting but it isn’t a crusting buttercream frosting. If you are looking for a frosting that crusts and holds up to heat, check out my vanilla crusting buttercream frosting.
SUGAR COOKIE BAR BAKING TIME
The only tricky part is not overcooking the sugar cookie bar. For my oven, 20 minutes was the ideal time, but it will depend on your oven. These sugar cookie bars will be done before they really look done. They will be pale when you pull them out of the oven, but they will finish cooking as they cool.
A FEW TIPS BEFORE YOU START
- Do not overbake. Pull the sugar cookie bars out of the oven when it is slightly golden around the edges. They will finish cooking as they cool.
- The sugar cookie bars will sink a little in the middle, that’s ok.
- Make sure your butter and eggs are at room temperature.
- For the frosting, make sure to beat the butter until it is almost white. This makes the frosting light and fluffy.
- If you want to pull the entire sugar cookie bar out of the pan instead of slicing them in the pan, put a large parchment sheet down before baking.
Here are some of the supplies I used to make this recipe:
Sugar Cookie Bars
For the cookie bar:
- 2 1/4 cups of flour 330 g
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 sticks of room temperature butter 170 g
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar 180 g
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar 60 g
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla
For the Frosting!
- 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar 340 g
- 1 stick of butter 113 g
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 3 tbsp of milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 Celsius)
- Prepare your 9x13 inch pan with parchment paper and cooking spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the flour, salt and baking soda and baking powder. Whisk together and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla
- Slowly add the flour mixture
- Beat together until it makes a dough
- Press the the dough into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Make sure to not overcook
- Cool completely
For the Frosting
- Beat the butter until almost white
- Slowly add half of the powdered sugar on low speed
- Add vanilla and 2 tbsps of milk
- Slowly add remaining powdered sugar
- Add remaining milk
- Add food coloring if desired
- Scraping down sides as necessary
- Add frosting to the top of the cookie bar with a spatula.
- Top with sprinkles
- Slice and serve
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links, which means the seller will know that I referred you to their product, and I’ll get a small percentage of the sale. However, I don’t take your trust for granted, so I only recommend products I’ve used personally and stand behind 100%.