Slow cooker black bean chicken tortilla soup. Loaded with black beans, chicken, corn, bell peppers and topped with crunchy tortilla strips and your favorite toppings. Perfect soup for a cold-weather dinner.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
With the weather getting colder, it’s time for some hearty soups like my southern style chicken and dumplings. Today, I’m sharing my favorite go-to chicken tortilla soup. It may look like a lot of ingredients, but this is a 1-pot dinner and it’s so simple to make. If you don’t have time to chop up the vegetables, buy them frozen pre-chopped to save you some time. I normally cook this in my slow cooker, but it also works great in a Dutch oven on the stove. Either way, you can dump the ingredients in and a bit later, you have a delicious healthy meal.
Toppings & Options
The toppings for this soup are really endless. I added sour cream, cilantro, crunchy tortilla strips and cheddar cheese. Don’t like any of those? Top it with some fresh salsa or avocados. The possibilities are really endless. Another optional ingredient is the heavy cream. If I’m trying to make it super healthy, I’ll omit the heavy cream and most of the toppings. If you want a more creamy tortilla soup, then go right ahead and add the heavy cream. This soup is very versatile and you can tweak it how ever you really like.
Look at those gorgeous fresh ingredients. The picture above with the tomatoes, cilantro, black beans, corn and onions could be it’s own black bean salsa dip. I love that this soup is loaded with vegetables and fresh ingredients.
Tips Before You Get Started
- Creamy or Not? – If you don’t want a creamy soup, omit the heavy cream. If so, add the heavy cream.
- Slow Cooker vs Dutch Oven – If you are using a slow-cooker, I suggest putting it on low for 6-7 hours. If you are cooking it on the stove-top, just bring it to a boil and then simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Vegetarian Option – This soup would be great without the chicken. Just add another can of black beans or your favorite beans.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 can of corn
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 tbsp of jalapenos chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro + garnish
- Juice from 1 lime
- 2 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 1/2 tsp of paprika
- 1/4 - 1 tsp of chili powder
- 3 cups of chicken stock or water
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp of heavy cream optional
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- Add all ingredients except the heavy cream to the slow cooker or pot.
- Slow Cooker - Cook on low for 6-7 hours
- Stove top - Bring to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour
- After cooking, add heavy cream and cook for 1-2 minutes
- Add toppings and serve