This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Classic rice krispie treats with a twist – marshmallow fluff instead of marshmallows. These simple ooey gooey treats are a perfect to make with the kids. Grab a bowl and let’s get stirring!
For the past few days, we’ve been trying to adjust to the new “normal” of our kids being home from school. It has been a challenge to balance educational activities, play time and house work.
One of the suggestions from our school was to get in the kitchen with the kids. While baking with kids seems like a good idea, it can be hard to do. Luckily, I’m coming at you with really simple baking and cooking activities to help you out. Our first activity was making chocolate dipped fruit popsicles.
Today, we’re tackling the always classic rice krispie treat. I thought it would be fun for the kids to help out on this “baking” project. They really enjoyed playing with the sticky marshmallow fluff and of course eating their treats after all their hard work.
What’s a Rice Krispie Treat?
When we moved to the Netherlands, they had just started to carry Rice Krispies cereal in the store. I made rice krispie treats and brought them to a friend and they were like….what are these? I had no idea it was an American treat. So for those that haven’t heard of it, rice krispie treats are just rice krispie cereal and marshmallows made into delicious bars or squares.
A Twist on Traditional
For these Rice Krispie treats, I wanted to do a twist on the traditional recipe. I know….gasp! Don’t mess with a classic. Instead of using marshmallows, we’re using marshmallow fluff. If you don’t have marshmallow fluff, no worries. You can totally use regular marshmallows. If you use regular marshmallows, use 8 cups of mini marshmallows.
How to Make Rice Krispie Treats
- Before you get started, use baking spray to grease a 9×13 inch pan and a large pot. Set them aside.
- In a large bowl, measure out 8 cups of Rice Krispies cereal.
- Melt the butter in a large pot. Add the marshmallow fluff and keep stirring until it is melted. You can use two spoons to help spoon the marshmallow fluff into the pot. It will definitely be sticky!
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Add the 8 cups of Rice Krispies cereal and stir. At this point you will want to work fast. Stir quickly and make sure that all the rice krispies cereal is coated in the marshmallow fluff and then scoop the mixture out into your greased pan.
- Spray your hands with baking spray and lightly pat down the Rice Krispie treats.
- Let it set for about 30 minutes.
- Cut the Rice Krispie treats into squares and enjoy!
How to Store Rice Krispie Treats
It is so hard not to eat rice krispie treats right away. After my kids helped put them into the pan, one of them asked if they could have the spatula with the leftover rice krispie mix. Of course I said yes and he ran off skipping and giggling. It was adorable.
Rice Krispie treats can get stale so make sure to store them in an air-tight container at room temperature. They should last 2-3 days if they can last that long before being eaten.
Obvioulsy you don’t need much to make rice krispie treats. Here’s a few things you will need to make these:
- Tray Pan – The red pan in the photos is my enameled cast iron pan but since you’re not actually cooking in the pan, you can use a regular tray pan like this Wilton one.
- Rubber spatula
- Mixing bowl
- Large pot
- Measuring cups
How Kids Can Help Make Them
This is a great recipe to get the kids to help out. It is really fun for them to make rice krispie treats. Here’s a few ways they can help out:
- Measuring the Cereal – Let them measure out the rice krispie cereal into the bowl. You can ask them to count out loud. Ask them if they have 3 cups in the bowl, how many more do we need to get to 8? You can talk about measurements and how we use special measuring cups to measure ingredients for baking.
- Stirring the Butter & Marshmallows – This recipe does require a little stove work so be sure to be careful. My 6 year old could stir the butter and marshmallows while it was melting. He needed a little help when we started adding the cereal.
- Patting down the mixture – This was fun to spray their hands with baking spray and letting them press down the mixture into the pan.
- Licking the Spoon – Isn’t that the best part of baking? Let them have a bit of fun eating off the rice krispie treats off the spatula.
Rice Krispie Treats with Marshmallow Fluff
- 4 tbsp Butter (56 grams)
- 15 oz Marshmallow fluff
- 8 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Spray or grease a 11x13" baking pan
- In a large bowl, measure out 8 cups of rice krispies cereal
- Spray or grease a large pot and set aside. This will help the rice krispie treats from sticking to the sides of the pot.
- On low heat, add butter to the pot and melt it.
- Add the marshmallow fluff. Use two spoons to get the mixture off of the spoon.
- Melt the marshmallow fluff until it is runny and melted. (3-4 minutes).
- Add the vanilla.
- Add the rice krispies cereal. Stir until all the marshmallow fluff covers the cereal.
- Quickly scoop the mixture out into your greased baking dish.
- Pat the mixture down gently into the pan.
- Let it set for 30 minutes to set.