Homemade chicken stock that warms your soul, makes your house smell like heaven and perfect for chicken noodle soup or chicken and dumplings.
Homemade Chicken Stock/Bone Broth
It’s winter here and for us that means winter colds. The nasty colds that never seem to go away. I believe homemade chicken noodle soup has some magic healing power that warms up your soul and helps you get through your cold. And, every good chicken noodle soup starts with a flavorful homemade chicken stock. Bone broth has many health benefits like helping alleviate joint pain and boosting the immune system. You can read more about some of the health benefits of bone broth here.
Now the first time I heard “bone broth,” I was thinking “Gross! That sounds terrible.” However, bone broth is just a new name for grandma’s chicken stock. And, when you smell this chicken stock cooking, your whole house will smell like heaven. Trust me.
Fall Off the Bone Chicken
Sorry vegetarians, you might want to close your eyes for this next picture. I don’t often cook with whole chickens, but I’m really starting to like the idea of using all of the chicken. We could not find a turkey for thanksgiving and instead roasted whole chickens. They were fabulous and juicy. Not only are you getting the benefits of a bone broth with this homemade chicken stock, but you have ready to go, fall off the bone, juicy and delicious chicken. This chicken literally fell off the bone after making the stock. You can use it for dinner like chicken and dumplings or freeze the shredded chicken. This one whole chicken yields about 4 cups of meat.
How to Store & Use the Chicken Stock
This chicken stock made about 13 cups of stock, so almost 3.5 quarts of stock. I used some of the stock to make chicken and dumplings and froze the rest for chicken noodle soup.
- Fridge – The homemade chicken stock will last about 4-5 days in the refrigerator.
- Freezer – It will last about 2-3 months in the freezer. You can put it in large freezer bags and freeze them flat so they don’t take up a ton of space in your freezer.
How to Make Homemade Chicken Stock
- Whole chicken
- 2 carrots
- 2 small onions or 1 large onion
- 1 celery stalk
- 13-14 cups of water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tablespoon of salt
- 1.5 Teaspoons of pepper
- Cut all the vegetables in large pieces
- In a large pot, add the chicken and the vegetables
- Add enough water to cover the the chicken
- Add the bay leaves, salt and pepper
- Bring to a boil and continue a low boil for 1 hour
- Strain the vegetables and store the stock