My favorite chocolate chip cookies! These chocolate chip cookies are crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside. Packed full of chocolate, these chocolate chip cookies will quickly become your favorite too.
Chocolate chip cookies are one of my favorite cookies. Next in line, would be sugar cookies like my soft and chewy sugar cookie bars. I think cookies are best when they are soft, chewy, and melt in your mouth.
For the longest time, I used to just use the recipe from the back of the bag of chocolate chips. Those worked fine, but the chocolate chip cookies always came out crispy, flat and fell apart when I put them in a container. I thought it would be a good idea to adapt my rolo candy cookies to make my ultimate favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe.
How to Make Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Use brown sugar. A combination of brown sugar and white sugar make these cookies tender and chewy on the inside. In this recipe, I found that a higher amount of brown sugar really worked well.
- Make sure your butter temperature is right! If your butter is too warm, the cookies will just spread out. That is why it is important to chill your dough before baking.
- Cooking time. For my oven, 11 minutes was the perfect cooking time. You want to pull them out when they look slightly under-baked. They will finish cooking on the pan. If you wait too long, the cookies will become cripsy and not so ooey gooey on the inside.
Tips to Make the Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie
- Use an ice cream scooper or melon ball scoop. I used a melon ball scoop and it yielded about 20 cookies. I also like using the ice cream scooper for extra large bakery style chocolate chip cookies. Plus, my kids love scooping them onto the baking sheet.
- Use an aluminum baking sheet with parchment paper. I found that when I finally bought a decent aluminium baking sheet, my cookies turned out better. The parchment paper helps them to not stick without adding all the extra oil from the cooking oil spray.
- Cornstarch! What a weird thing to add to a cookie recipe right? After doing some research, the cornstarch helps lighten the proteins in the flour which makes the cookie soft and tender. Check out this post from the Unicorn Love blog on what cornstarch can do for your baking goods.
Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups of flour 210 g
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 stick + 2 tablespoons of butter 135g - room temp
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar 150 g
- 1/4 cup of white sugar 55 g
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/3 cup of chocolate chips 200 g
- In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt and cornstarch)
- In another bowl, cream together the room temperature butter and sugars (brown and white)
- Add the vanilla to the butter mixture
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture
- Add the egg
- Add the chocolate chips
- Chill in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes (preferably overnight) or scoop out the dough into balls and freeze for 15 minutes
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees (160 c) and bake for about 11 minutes
- Leave on the baking sheet until cooled and then transfer to cooling rack