This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Just like what you would find in a bakery, these banana chocolate chip muffins are over-the-top delicious. The banana makes these muffins so soft and tender while the warm chocolate chips melt into your mouth. With only one bowl and a few ingredients, you can make these warm treats for your family in no time.
My husband and I lived with his brother during college. On the weekends, my brother-in-law would cook banana nut bread. I remember the smell of the bread baking would make you come out of the room. It was so lovely smelling that sweet bread on Sunday afternoons. I always thought it was funny that he cooked this delicious bread on the weekends and survived solely on ramen and rice during the week. These banana chocolate chip muffins surely smell the house with that same sweet smell.
We always seem to have over-ripe bananas. We can never seem to buy the right amount of produce. I’m either scrambling to pack fruit into my kids’ school lunches or we have an abundance that I’m trying to use up before it goes bad.
That’s where the beauty of these banana chocolate chip muffins come in. These are perfect for using up over-ripe bananas without letting them go to waste.
HOW TO GET THE PERFECT RISE
Just like my blueberry muffins, I love a good domed top on muffins. However, this time I wanted to go bigger. Go big or go home, right?
For these banana chocolate chip muffins, I used both the oven temperature trick and these tulip cupcake liners. To get the perfect rise on your muffins, you’ll first bake them at a higher temperate and then drop the temperature down for the remaining baking time. The large parchment paper tulip cupcake liners also allows you to fill the muffins to the top making a larger muffin bakery-style muffin.
- Bake the muffins at 425°F (218°C) for 5 minutes
- Reduce temperature to 350°F (177°C) and bake for another 12-15 minutes
HOW TO MAKE BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS
These muffins are really simple to make and only use one bowl. It is so easy to put together and only takes a few ingredients.
Mash the bananas in a bowl with the back of a fork. Then add the oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla stirring together. Then add the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt). The muffin batter is thick which helps easily distribute the chocolate chips.
So now it’s time to add the chocolate chips. Fold them in with a spatula.
Line the muffin pan with the cupcake liners. Fill the muffin liners to the top with batter.
Bake the muffins at 425°F (218°C) for 5 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F (177°C) and bake for another 12-15 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack. This recipe will make 9 large size muffins (shown) or 14 regular size muffins.
Eat them warm, they are better this way! When all the chocolate chips are melty and gooey. So good with a hot cup of tea.
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THESE MUFFINS
Bakery-Style Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 3 ripe bananas (388 grams)
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil (65 grams)
- 1/2 cup sugar (90 grams)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour (170 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (85 grams)
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Line muffin pan with muffin liners. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mash the bananas with the back of a fork. Add the oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Stir with a spatula.
- Add in the flour, baking soda and salt. Stir together until it is incorporated.
- Add in the chocolate chips and fold them in gently with a spatula.
- Divide batter between each muffin cup, filling all the way to the top.
- Bake at 425°F for 5 minutes, then, keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (177°C) and continue to bake for 12-14 minutes until the tops are lightly golden brown and centers are set. The muffins are done when you insert a toothpick in the center of the muffin and it comes out clean.
- Allow them to cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Enjoy and serve warm. Cover leftover muffins in airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 5 days.