This frozen lime pie is a refreshing summertime dessert to help keep you cool. Made with a graham cracker crust and filled with homemade whipped cream and fresh lime juice, this pie is easy to make and perfect for summer.
Key Lime Pie + Lemon Ice Box Pie
Although I love rich chocolate desserts like chocolate sheet cake, chocolate chip cookies and Rolos cookies, my favorite sweet treats are tart and tangy like this frozen lime pie. This frozen lime pie is a blend of a traditional key lime pie or a lemon ice box pie. Made with fresh whipped cream and lime juice, this pie has the perfect balance of sweet and tart.
Key Limes vs Regular Limes
What’s the difference between key limes and regular limes? So, this is technically a lime pie because I could not find key limes in the Netherlands. Key limes are slightly tarter, yellow and have a more floral juice. The Florida Keys are known for their key limes. My family took a trip to the Florida Keys and we got to taste the best key lime pie at the Blond Giraffe. They even served chocolate dipped key lime pie on a stick!
Homemade Whipped Cream
I love fresh whipped cream and it is so easy to make. Using a stand mixer with a whisk attachment or a large bowl and a hand mixer, add 2 cups of heavy cream. Tip: to keep the cream extra cold, you can chill the bowl and the mixer before adding the cream. Start on low and increase the speed to medium until it the cream forms stiff peaks. Be careful not to over-beat the cream. Then, I add two tablespoons of sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
Tips Before You Get Started
- Use fresh limes or key limes if possible. You can use bottled lime juice if you can’t get a hold of good limes.
- Chill your mixing bowl and whisk for 10 minutes in the fridge before making the filling to keep the whipped cream extra cold.
- Before serving, let the pie sit out for a few minutes so it will be easier to slice.
Quick and Easy Frozen Lime Pie
- 2 cups graham crackers or digestive cookies (215 g) About 20 digestive cookies
- 7 tbsps melted butter (85g)
- 2 cups heavy cream (500ml)
- 2 tbsps sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese (225g)
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (4 small limes)
- 2 limes (for zest) 1 for pie filling and 1 zest for decoration
- 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk (397g)
- Few drops green food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 c)
- Crush graham crackers and mix with melted butter. Press mixture into a pie dish and bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool.
- In a chilled mixing bowl with a whisk attachment, add the heavy cream. Whip on low and increase speed to medium until it forms soft peaks (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add 2 tablespoons of sugar. Remove whipped cream from mixer and place in a mixing bowl.
- To your mixer, add 8 oz of cream cheese. Mix until smooth.
- Add lime juice, zest from one lime and sweetened condensed milk.
- If desired, add a few drops of green food coloring to enhance color.
- Fold whipped cream back into the lime filling mixture. Once blended, add it to the pie crust.
- Put in freezer for at least 1 hour.
- When you are ready to serve, allow pie to sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes. Add decorations if desired (extra whipped cream, lime slices and more lime zest.