Traditional southern style chicken and dumplings with a creamy soup and tender dumplings.
Southern Chicken and Dumplings
I can remember my Mammaw rolling out dumpling dough on her counter and throwing them into the chicken stock bubbling on the stove. She made the best chicken and dumplings and I have to say that these are pretty darn good too. I have tried several chicken and dumpling recipes, but I’ve never actually made dumplings. Y’all, it is super easy. You can use frozen dumplings or even tortillas if you need to get dinner on the table faster, but from start to finish, this dish took 30 minutes!
Homemade Chicken Stock
I think what makes these chicken and dumplings so special is the homemade chicken stock. You could absolutely use store-bought chicken stock for this recipe but the homemade chicken stock adds another depth of flavor. The stock is super easy to make and plus you get delicious fall-off-the-bone chicken ready for your chicken and dumplings.
How to Make Dumplings
To make the dumplings, you start with a basic dough of flour, butter, salt, baking powder and milk. You mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl and then roll the dough out thin (1/4″).
Then cut the dough into strips (1 inch wide x 3 inches long). That’s it. I made these while the stock was coming to a boil and it was much easier than I thought.
After your chicken stock is up to a boil, gently toss these dumplings in one at a time. Do not stir the mixture. Gently tap the dumplings to move them around. Boil these for 15-20 minutes until they are done. Afterwards, add the chicken and the cream of chicken. Boil for a few more minutes and serve!
Tips Before You Get Started
- Make sure the butter is cold for your dumpling dough. Mix the butter and flour together with your hands or a pastry cutter.
- The dough should not be super sticky. I did not use the full cup of milk. Once it comes together like a pie crust dough, it is ready to roll out.
- Do not stir the dumplings. If you need to move them, tap them gently with a back of a spoon. Otherwise, it’s best to leave them alone.
Easy Southern Chicken and Dumplings
- 2 quarts of chicken stock 8 cups
- 2 cups of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 3/4-1 cup of milk
- 2 cups of chicken
- 1 can of cream of chicken
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring chicken stock to a boil
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt and butter
- Mix the flour mixture with the butter until the butter pieces are mixed throughout the flour
- Slowly add some of the milk to the mixture and mix (You may not need all the milk)
- Once the dough comes together, flour a surface and roll out the dough thin (1/4" inches)
- Cut the dumplings into strips (about 1 inch wide and 3 inches long)
- Add the dumplings to the boiling stock (one at a time)
- Do not stir, gently tap the dumplings down into the stock
- Boil for 15-20 minutes
- Add the chicken and cream of chicken
- Boil for another 5 minutes