Easy slow cooker cajun white bean soup made with smoked andouille sausage, creamy white beans, and veggies. This hearty dinner is full of flavor and easy to make!
Cajun White Beans
Before we moved to Louisiana, I had never had Cajun white beans. The only white bean soups that I was familiar with was the Southern Mississippi style with loads of butter and ham. We had our first white beans at a jambalaya festival and shortly after my husband learned how to make authentic cajun jambalaya. Some people add the Cajun white beans on top of their jambalaya or you can serve them over white rice.
Smooth or Chunky White Bean Soup?
Traditionally, Cajun white beans have more of a creamy smooth texture. This is because some of the white beans are removed and mashed and then added back to the soup. Similar to a creamy potato soup, it’s what creates the creamy texture in the soup. I left these a little more intact so you could see the white beans, but my we prefer our white bean soup more blended where the beans are basically unrecognizable and falling apart.
Either way you prefer them, you can’t beat the flavor of this white bean soup. The Cajun white bean soup gets a smokey flavor from the andouille sausage and a bit of the spice from the Cajun seasoning. I love how the sausage flavors the white beans. If you love smoked sausage, you can also check out my sausage roast pan dinner.
Best Way to Cook Cajun White Beans
I have made this recipe several times, sometimes in a crock pot or slow cooker and other times in a Dutch oven on the stove. I prefer the Dutch oven because it holds the proper heat for a long time, but the slow cooker is so convenient. You can throw all the ingredients in and leave it for several hours. Either way, you have a delicious and hearty white bean soup ready to devour.
Typically, you would serve this over rice or jambalaya. Otherwise, this Cajun white bean soup is delicious on its own.
Slow Cooker Cajun White Bean Soup
- 8 slices bacon 150 g
- 1 lb sausage
- 1 large onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 large bell pepper
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 1/2 cups white beans (pre-soaked or canned) 730 g
- 1 tbsp Tony's or cajun seasoning
- 2-3 cups water enough water to slightly cover the beans
- In a skillet, cook the bacon and sausage. Once cooked, drain and add to the slow cooker.
- Add the chopped onions, celery and bell pepper to the skillet. Once cooked, add to the slow cooker
- Add the garlic, white beans, cajun seasoning and water
- Cook on slow for 6-7 hours
- For a creamier texture, remove 1-2 cups of the bean soup and blend in a food processor or blender and return the mixture to the rest of the soup. Stir and serve over rice.